Preparing for Floods in Miami - All You Must Know
You can never predict how devastating a flood can be until you actually come face to face with one. That time you may regret that you didn’t prepare in advance nor buy Florida food insurance for your Miami home. But it is never too late unless you never begin.
For most of the year, Miami is a mesmerizing paradise on earth. The city is visited by thousands of people from all around the world who come to witness its true magnificence in full glory. But that is only till June when the hurricane season comes around. While floods can occur at any time during the year, it’s during the hurricane season that the threat of flooding jumps up manifold.
How to Prepare for Floods
● Know Your Zone: Different areas of Florida are marked to have varying threat levels of hurricanes and floods. Try to get information about which zone you live in if you don’t know that already. If you are not able to get the info from a government source you could also check with a flood insurance company to learn about it.
● Evacuate If Necessary: Staying behind always is not always the right option. If a very severe flood is expected to hit your area, evacuate. You could rebuild everything through insurance money and perseverance. But if you lose all is lost.
● Stock Supplies: If floods have been predicted to be severe but still keep you indoors, stock necessary supplies in advance. These include food items, buckets to clean out water, medical supplies, clean clothing, flashlight, batteries, and whatever you deem necessary.
● Secure Critical Documents: If you have some critical documents at work, seal them safely and store them where even the harshest of floods can’t damage them. They could be your property papers or certain crucial office files. In either case, keep them secure.
● Avoid Traveling: Never underestimate flooding. Even if there is knee-length water outside, refrain from moving out. You just might miss potholes or open drains or even broken roads that could be fatal for you. Wait for the water to subside before doing anything at all.
● Buy Flood Insurance: When floods happen, they will cause major losses to your house. A single inch of floodwater can lead to thousands of dollars’ worth of damages. If you don’t want to pay for that from your pocket, buy flood insurance.
You must know that your home insurance doesn’t naturally cover flood damages. You have to buy a separate flood insurance policy to secure yourself from any financial burden caused by those losses.
You can buy Florida flood insurance either from NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program0, which is a federal policy, or from private insurers. The former gives you more assurance, though with limited coverage. The latter’s coverage is dynamic, with more flexible coverage options to suit everyone’s needs. If you are looking for higher coverage in the area, private insurance will be the right choice for you.
Speak to your nearest Florida flood insurance company in Miami and seek a free quote from them today.