Fine Feather Dental Clinic
Is Chewing Gum Good For Oral Health?
Everybody enjoys chewing gums while driving, relaxing, or during oral fixation.
But, is chewing gum good for your mouth?
Are there any benefits to your oral health from consuming chewing gum?
What happens when you chew gum daily?
According to the ADA (American Dental Association) Seal of Acceptance, if you find ADA seal on the packaging of chewing gum, consider it safe to chew. So always choose your chewing gum wisely.
Most chewing gums contain huge sugary portions and artificial sweeteners that will have an adverse effect on your tooth. Secondly, it puts you at an increased risk for developing gingivitis, cavities, and gum disease.
Excess of anything is always injurious to health. However, eating chewing gum in a definite portion can add valuable benefits to your mouth.
The benefits of chewing sugar-free chewing gum:
Excessive chewing the chewing gums can have a negative impact on your jaw strains or lead to migraine in some cases. But, you can reap out positive impact too-
- If you chew sugarless gum for at most 20 minutes after having your meal it will keep gingivitis at bay.
- Chewing gums can ease acidic issues in your esophagus by offsetting the acids and making the saliva more alkaline. This will reduce the inflammatory effect in your stomach and food pipe.
- It can easily combat against strong-smelling food items like garlic, onions, or any spices that leave a foul odor in your mouth
- Chewing gums after meals will clear off food particles from your mouth by causing strain with the salivary flow. Later, the whitening ingredient present in it will prevent future straining too.
Even though there are benefits to sugar-free chewing gums, it is still extremely crucial to maintain a good oral hygiene routine to keep your mouth, teeth, and gums healthy. Therefore you must practice-
- Floss once a day
- Schedule professional teeth cleaning and regular dental checkups
- Brush at least twice a day – before having your first meal and after having your last meal
- Select the right toothbrush and change it after every 3 months
Visit the Best Dental Clinic near you to keep your mouth fresh and odor-free